History

the Science Museum Library

The biblioteca del Museo tridentino di scienze naturali doesn't have a precise date of birth.
Its history is tied to the vicissitudes of the collections of the Museum. These, incorporated in the patrimony of the library and Museum of the city of Trento, for years were moved constantly between Palazzo in Prato, Palazzo Thun and the Castello del Buonconsiglio, until 1924, when finally found a decent accommodation in the building of the municipal schools (the current site of the Faculty of sociology, in via Verdi).
The first of the library consist of a few dozen volumes that had accompanied the donations of the most illustrious figures of local and science, as well as the collections, the policy direction of the library and Museum, often entrusted to men of letters rather than science (with the exception of the period of Francesco Ambrosi in the latter part of the 19th century).
With the reorganisation of the collections led by new companies of the museo civico di storia naturale (1922) and the subsequent founding of the Museo regionale della Venezia Tridentine Mass, in 1929 was officially founded the biblioteca di scienze naturali della Venezia Tridentine Mass. Since its inception it was placed at the disposal of anyone who would request. The original regulation allows in fact without discrimination the home loan, stating that the library would prefer to "lose some volume rather than let it become moldy books in the shelves". In 1922 the volumes are just over a hundred but even eight years later, more than 10,000 units, the result of donations and exchanges (in 1926 began the publication of the natural sciences section of the magazine Studi trentini) with an increasing number of Italian and foreign scientific institutes. One of the first acquired funds is the Mycological library by Giacomo Bresadola, purchased by the municipality of Trento and the funeral Committee bresadoliane of the Museum at the death of the scholar (1929). In the following years, several other small funds were added to the library (Banerjee, Catoni, blacksmith, immigration consultancy, Videsott, Strobel, among others). In 1976 began the transfer of the Museum at Palazzo Sardagna, where the Library acquires new spaces on the second floor, in the eastern part of the building. The 1989 restructuring allows idi subsume the old library Lecture Hall of the Museum allowing development of facilities made even more necessary after the bibliographic Catalog. In July 1997, the library was transferred via Calepina 10, a short walk from the Museum.Reading room, meeting room reserved for employees of the Museum, the classroom pc and monitor with the ability to access the internet as well as to bibliographic Catalogue underground warehouses, but capacious and, last but not least, the fact that it is facing the road, allow greater visibility and openness to users. In July 2013, with the opening of the Muse, the library back in the Museum halls on the first floor overlooking the central hall, combining the functions of school library with the needs of deepening and scientific divulgation of the visitors of the museum itself.
​​