The network

 
MUSE is a widespread network of museums and local offices at provincial level (and beyond).
 
 
 
Satellite Museums
  • Udzungwa Ecological Monitoring Centre, Tanzania


    Established in 2006 in the Udzungwa Mountains National Park, Tanzania, the Science Museum has been running this project in Tanzania for almost 10 years.

    The Udzungwa Mountains are a mountain range covered with ancient rainforests of exceptional environmental value and stunning beauty. The climatic stability and persistence of forests for millions of years has favoured the evolution of numerous endemic species, which make the Udzungwa Mountains one of the most important biodiversity hotspots in Africa and one of the richest in the world.

    The international importance of the area and the need to monitor biodiversity have motivated the Science Museum to found the Centre for Ecological Monitoring as a support structure to the National Park for the development of biodiversity monitoring programs and environmental education for primary schools. Since 2009, the Centre operates the first site in Africa for a pantropical network of research stations for standardised monitoring of biodiversity (Tropical Ecology, Assessment and Monitoring).

    The Centre's staff, consisting of about 20 Tanzanians, works closely with the staff of the National Park to carry out censuses of the most important species and to collect data on the state of forests. An environmental education program for schools in the area was also launched in 2008. The centre has accommodation for researchers, office space and resources to facilitate the research, a large hall for seminars and a hostel opened in 2010 to conduct advanced training courses on tropical biodiversity aimed at local and international students.


              
     
    Exhibitions and events
    All activities
     
    Contacts
    Tropical Biodiversity department
    Dott. Francesco Rovero
    T. +39 0461 270374
    Opening hours

    ​/

    Prices

    ​/

     
    How to reach us
    Address: Udzungwa Ecological Monitoring Centrec/o Udzungwa Mountains National ParkP.O. Box 99, Mang’ulaTanzania (East-Africa).

    From the city of Dar es Salaam and Arusha (international airports), take the road to Morogoro and head towards Iringa to Mikumi town (120 km from Morogoro) from where it is 60km by road to the Udzungwa Mountains National Park. The centre is close to the park offices and near the village of Mang'ula. Mang'ula be reached by car (6 hours from Dar es Salaam), by bus (from Dar es Salaam, direction Ifakara) or by train (TAZARA line).
     
  • Geological Museum of the Dolomites - Predazzo


    The Geological Museum of the Dolomites in Predazzo is a museum with a long tradition, opened to the public in 1899 on the initiative of the "Società magistrale di Fiemme e Fassa". It is the result of the strong attention given to these areas by the international geological research since the early nineteenth century, when precisely in Predazzo took shape a new theory about the origin of the mountains.

    The museum, part of the MUSE Science Museum of Trento network since 2012, tells the story of the Dolomites of Fiemme and Fassa and their millenary relationship with the territory and the local population with a contemporary museological approach focused on the relationship with visitors.

    Its collections include a large selection of local paleontological specimens and numerous minerals that constitute a real geological heritage. The museum collaborates with Italian universities in the field of stratigraphy of the Middle Triassic and for over twenty years has been running valuable educational and scientific dissemination activities.

    The Science Museum has been engaged for some years with the town of Predazzo in the dissemination and communication of geology. This has allowed for a series of training proposals to be developed, which are carried out in the spaces in and around the Geological Museum.


    N.B. Prices are subject to change during special events or exhibitions.
    Updated to July 23, 2013. Del C.d.A. of 22/07/2013 no. 25
     
    Exhibitions and events
    All activities
     
    Contacts
    T.: +39 0462 500366

    Opening hours
    Tue - Sat: 10.00 - 12.30 am /
    4.00 - 7.00 pm

    Free entry every first Sunday of the month

    from June to September:
    Tue - Sun: 10.00 - 12.30 am / 4.00 - 7.00 pm

    Closed on Monday

    Prices
    Full price ticket: € 3,50
    Concessions: € 2,50
    Family ticket [from 15.10.2015]:
    One parent with underage children: € 3,50
    Two parents with underage children: € 7,00
     
     
    How to reach us
    The museum is located in Val di Fiemme, Predazzo, in Piazza SS. Filippo e Giacomo 1.
    From the A22 motorway exit at Egna-Ora/Neumarkt-Auer, and take the SS n. 48 to Predazzo, Piazza SS. Filippo e Giacomo 1.
     
  • Gianni Caproni Aeronautical Museum


    Founded in 1927 by engineer Gianni Caproni (1886-1957) and his wife Timina Guasti, it was the first company museum in Italy and is the oldest aviation museum in the world.

    The current structure is in Mattarello (Trento), next to the airport, and was inaugurated in 1992 to collect and exhibit the collection of historic aircraft and memorabilia collected by the Caproni family over the years. Among the valuable pieces there are nine historical aircraft which are unique in the world and hundreds of memorabilia.

    Since 2011, the Caproni museum has been rotating several pieces of its collection never before shown to the public: aircraft, ancient artifacts and works of art dedicated to the theme of flight.


    N.B. Prices are subject to change during special events or exhibitions.
    Updated to July 23, 2013. Del C.d.A. of 22/07/2013 no. 25
     
    Exhibitions and events
    All activities
     
    Contacts
    T. +39 0461.944 888
    F. +39 0461.944 900

    Opening hours
    Tue-Fri: 10.00-13.00 & 14.00-18.00
    Sat-Sun: 10.00-18.00

    Closed on Monday

    The museum is closed on Christmas day and New Year's day.
    Prices
    Normal: € 4,50
    Reduced: € 3,00
    Family [from 15.10.2015]:
    Two parents with underage children: € 9,00
    One parent with underage children: € 4,50

     
    How to reach us
    The Aeronautical Museum “Gianni Caproni” is located in Via Lidorno 3 - Trento next to the city airport, approximately 2 km south of Trento.

    By car
    If you are on the A22 motorway exit at “Trento Sud”; at the second roundabout take the exit towards the airport “G. Caproni”.
    The Museum has a large car park.

    By bus
    The museum is currently not reachable with a local bus route.
    For schools and organized groups a free shuttle service is available (round-trip times to be agreed when booking) whit a collection point near the railway station of Trento.


     

     
  • Lake Tovel Limnological Centre, Tuenno



    Founded in 2003 as part of the Life-Tovel project, since 2006 it has been used for the research activities of the Lake Tovel Limnology and Algology Section and for summer schools for college students, educational activities for schools and for scientific interpretation and mediation for the public.

    All activities are carried out in collaboration with the Adamello-Brenta Natural Park and the Municipality of Tuenno.
     
    Exhibitions and events
    All activities
     
    Contacts
    Department of Limnology and algology: dott. Massimiliano Tardio
    T. +39 0461.270339

    Opening hours
    The centre is open from May to October during educational activities, summer schools etc.
    Prices
    Opening times and rates may be agreed with the representative of the Limnology and algology section of the Science Museum.
     
    How to reach us
    From Trento
    Via Mezzolombardo – direction Val di Non - Denno - Tuenno

    From Cles
    Via Tuenno

    From the North
    Motorway exit San Michele a/A , Mezzocorona - Mezzolombardo - Denno - Tuenno
     
  • Lake Ledro Stilt house Museum


    The eastern shore of Lake Ledro, Trentino (north west of Lake Garda) is an area of important archaeological finds: in the 1930s various excavations unearthed the remains of a village on stilts dating from the Middle Bronze Age (2200-1350 BC).In 2011 the site was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

    The adjoining museum building is a typical example of '70s architecture, designed as a "window of windows" so as not to create visual barriers to the findings. In 2006, the "shaman's hut" has been added to the reconstruction of a portion of the village on the bank of the lake.
    The area is dedicated to education and the re-contextualisation of the findings, which are layed out in such a way as to build a realistic picture of prehistory.
    The village closes the circle which starts at the museum exhibits, passing through the area where they were discovered, and leading to replicas which can be handled. In the spring and autumn months the museum offers educational and teaching activities and in the summer months it offers "Palafittando", a rich program of experimental archeology workshops and simulations, concert performances, and themed events.



    N.B.
    Prices are subject to change during special events or exhibitions.
    Updated to July 23, 2013. Del C.d.A. of 22/07/2013 no. 25

     
    Exhibitions and events
    All activities
     
    Contacts
    T.+39 0464.508182
    F.+39 0464.509382

    Opening hours
    March - June
    9 am - 5 pm


    July & August
    10 am - 6 pm


    September - November
    9 am - 5 pm
    Prices
    Normal: € 3.50
    Reduced: € 2.50

    Family [from 15.10.2015]:
    Two parents with underage children: € 7.00
    One parent with underage children: € 3.50

     
    How to reach us
    The museum is located in Val di Ledro (Tn) in the village of Molina, on Via Belvedere 1.

    By car:
    From the exit of the A22 motorway, Rovereto Sud, take the SS No. 240 to Riva del Garda. From Ardaro the S.S. No. 240 leads into Val di Ledro.

    Public bus service:
    for bus timetables please consult the website of the local provider www.vallediledro.com/lang/IT/pagine/dettaglio/17/25.html
     
  • Astronomical observatory "Terrazza delle stelle", Viote del Monte Bondone


    The astronomical observatory "the Terrace of the Stars" is located in Viote of Monte Bondone, far from the urban lights and a few kilometers from Trento. It is an ideal place for observing the night sky. It is equipped with powerful telescopes which with the guidance of experienced operators become powerful instruments to admire the sky. Astronomical observations are accompanied by concerts of classical and light music, animations, scientific theater, shows, children's stories, and courses in astronomy.

    By day, the protagonist is the Sun, revealing its spectacular face thanks to telescopes with special filters.
    The observatory dome is made of polished steel that creates a striking mirror effect: the panorama of day and night are reflected on the dome, a metaphor of the relationship between heaven and earth, as old as man.

    The main instrument of the observatory is a computer controlled reflector telescope of 80cm diameter, which along with other 6 pieces of equipment allow you to observe the sky in all its glory. The terrace is open for the events you can find in the agenda and by appointment throughout the year.


     


     
    Exhibitions and events
    All activities
     
    Contacts
    T. +39 0461 270311
    F. +39 0461 270322
    Opening hours
    The astronomical observatory is open during events and activities and by appointment throughout the year.
    Prices
    Free access to the Terrace of the Stars.
    Prices for most of the activities:
    Normal: 3,50 €
    Reduced: 2,50 €
    Family [from 15.10.2015]:
    Two parents with underage children: 7,00 €
    One parent with underage children: 3,50 €

    Free admission for children 14 years or younger
     
    How to reach us
    From Trento
    SP 85 road in the direction of Monte Bondone Viotte
    Via Sardagna - Candriai - Vaneze - Vason
    Or via Sopramonte - Candriai - Vaneze - Vason
    Via the Monte Bondone bus

    From Riva del Garda
    SS 45 bis road Gardesana west direction Trento, SP 84 Valle di Cavedine direction Monte Bondone

     
  • Viote Alpine Botanical Garden, Monte Bondone

    The Viote Alpine Botanical Garden is one of the oldest and largest in the Alps and its collections include about 2000 species of alpine plants, many of which are at risk of extinction, representing the main alpine mountain regions around the world.

    It is an extreme environment, fragile and unique, that includes lakes, bogs, wild flower meadows and forests where you can relax and discover secrets about mountain farming, herbal medicine and about species which can be therapeutic, useful or poisonous. Most importantly, knowing these environments connects us to climate change and to our stewardship towards nature.

    During the year the Alpine Botanical Garden offers activities and guided tours for schools and groups (by reservation) and in the summer it is animated by themed activities for all age groups: from making bread to natural cosmetics and “wild” aperitifs.


    N.B. Prices are subject to change during special events or exhibitions.

    In effect from 15 June to 31 August 2015. Updated to July 23, 2013. Del
    C.d.A. of 22/07/2013 no. 25



    ​​​ ​​
     
    Exhibitions and events
    All activities
     
    Contacts
    t. +39 0461 948050



    Opening hours
    June & September:
    9.00 am - 5.00 pm

    July & August:
    9.00 am - 6.00 pm
    Prices
    Entrance fee from 1.06 to 31.08

    Full ticket price: € 3,50
    Concessions: € 2,50
    Family ticket [from 15.10.2015]:
    € 3,50 / € 7,00 1 or 2 parents with underage children
    Season ticket: € 8,00


     
    How to reach us
    The Garden is located at Viote of Monte Bondone at 1540m above sea level, near Trento.

    From Trento
    - Via bus to Monte
    Bondone (for timetables please visit http://www.ttesercizio.it )
    - Car: take the SP 85
    Viote direction Monte Bondone.
    - Via
    Sardagna - Candriai - Vaneze - Vasonoppure via Sopramonte - Candriai - Vaneze - Vason

    From Riva del Garda
    Take the SS 45 road
    bis Gardesana western direction Trento, SP 84 Cavedine valley and then follow signs for direction Monte Bondone.



     
Special agreement locations
  • Centre for Studies Adamello "Julius Payer"


    The scenic morainal ampitheatre which covers the glaciers of Lobbia and Mandron, at 2434 meters above sea level, is home to the Centre for Studies Adamello named after Julius Payer (1841-1915). Designed by the Society of Tridentine Mountaineers (“Alpini”), the centre was created in 1994 during the renovation of the Capanna Mandròn (Leipziger Hütte, dating back to 1878).

    The centre gathers information relating to glaciers, such as their formation and structure - but also the important naturalistic, environmental, geological and social role which they play.
    The refuge near Mandrone, which provides hospitality for visitors, is an ideal departure point for guided tours of the Adamello glaciers. With this in mind, the centre has mapped out a route over the three alpine glaciers Mandron, Lobbia and Lares, which are of particular historical and scientific importance.
       

     
    Exhibitions and events
    All activities
     
    Contacts
    T. + 39 0461.981871
    T. + 39 0461 270311
    Opening hours
    20. Juni - 20. September
    Prices
    Free entry
     
    How to reach us
    Located in the former Capanna Mandròn, the centre is only five minutes walk from the refuge Mandrone “Città di Trento”.
    The latter can be reached:
    From the refuge Bedolè "Adamello Collini"
    1641m in Val Genova (16 km from Carisolo), along the path 212, which passes by the old refuge – 2h30.

    Passo del Tonale
    1882m path 209 to Passo del Paradiso 2573m (including cable car), and then from the Capanna Presena 2729m to the glacier of the same name at the Passo del Maroccaro 2973m - 4h30; taking advantage of the cable car – 2h30.
     
  • Visitor Centre and Learning area "Monsignor Mario Ferrari" - Tremalzo


    Opened in 2011, the centre is located at about 1600m altitude in the valley of Tremalzo in Valle di Ledro. Designed to enhance and learn about the Site of Community Importance Tremalzo - Tombea, with dedicated space for teaching and exhibition, the centre is composed of three areas with different functions: a permanent exhibition area of about 120 square metres where, along a dedicated path, you can discover the environment of Tremalzo and its peculiarities; a function room for outreach activities, meetings and conferences; and finally a lecture hall.

    The project sets out an itinerary which takes in the nature of Tremalzo, embracing different aspects from orography to paleoglaciologia and geology, local and alpine flora and fauna, and the history and customs of the valley.


     
    Exhibitions and events
    All activities
     
    Contacts
    T. +39 0461.270311
    F. +39 0461.270322
    Opening hours
    More information:
    Francesco Rigobello +39.0461.270354
    Prices

    Free entry

     
    How to reach us
     
  • Arco Arboretum


    The Arboretum is an edge of the ancient park that the Archduke Albert of Habsburg had created in the town of Arco around his villa in the late nineteenth century. Thanks to the mild climate created by Lake Garda, it hosts a rich vegetation of evergreen plants from hot climates.

    Today there are 200 different species of trees and shrubs arranged on an area of approximately 1 hectare: North American conifers, and Southeast Asian and Mediterranean plants.

    Managed by the City of Arco in collaboration with the staff of the Provincial Service of Conservation of Nature and Environmental Protection and with the Science Museum of Trento, the Arboretum is a centre for cultural mediation, environmental education and phenological monitoring (i.e. the development phases of plants).
     
    Exhibitions and events
    All activities
     
    Contacts
    Comune di Arco
    T. 0464.583636
    F. 0464.518631
     
    MUSE
    T. 0461.270311
    F. 0461.233830
    Opening hours
    April-September
    8.00-19.00
    October-March
    9.00-16.00
    Prices
    Free entry
     
    How to reach us
    The Arboretum is located in Arco, in via Fossa Grande at the beginning of the road leading to  località Laghel.

    Coming from the South:
    From the A22 motorway take the exit for Rovereto Sud, then take the SS No. 240 to Nago, and finally the S.S. No. DIR 240 which leads to Arco.

    Coming from Trento:
    S.S. No. 45 bis Gardesana Occidentale up to Arco (38 km).
     
  • The Garibaldi Bezzecca Historical Museum


    In 1866, during the Third War of Independence, Bezzecca was the scene of the famous battle of Garibaldi. During the First World War, the Ledro Valley was once again a battlefield and, when the  the conflict came to an end, the Church of Santo Stefano del Colle became a place of rest for the fallen of 1866 and those of the Great War, thus becoming the Ossuary Monument under the patronage of the Ministry of Defence.

    Over the years, the Church collected numerous relics and votive offerings which were then transferred and placed in the new location at the former wash house in the center of Bezzecca, the collection having also been enriched over time with objects and documents made available by the Historical Museum in Trento. In December 2004, the "Museum Park Bezzecca 1866" was created, as a section of the Historical Museum of Trento and in 2009 its management was entrusted to the Museum of Lake Ledro, section of the Science Museum of Trento. A number of publications on Garibaldi and the First World War are on show in the museum and texts published by the Historical Museum of Trentino Foundation are on sale.

    You can enjoy guided tours (for groups) or Audio guides (for individuals) that accompany you through the sites where the battles took place. During the school year there are guided tours at the Educational Museum and Colle Santo Stefano.

    Every year, on 21 July, the commemoration of the battle of 1866 takes place, with exhibitions and events.

     
    Exhibitions and events
    All activities
     
    Contacts
    Museo delle Palafitte lago di Ledro
    T. 0464.08182
    Opening hours
    June-September
    Wed-Sun: 10.00 -13.00 & 14.30-19.00 
    Other months by appointment
    Prices
    Free entry
    Guided tours for groups:
    3 € for each person (T. +39 0464 508182)

    Guided tours for schools:
    (T. +39 0461 228502/222916)

     
    How to reach us
    The museum is located in Bezzecca, in via Lung'Assat Salvatore Greco 2.
     
  • Riparo Dalmeri


    Riparo Dalmeri is a Paleolithic archaeological site. Excavations at the site had benn carried on by MUSE for 20 years. The archaeological findings allowed us to understand the habits and exploitation practices of the mountain land by pre-historic people living in the area about 13,000 years ago.

    The  most exciting discoveries occurred during excavations were the identification of a structure, probably a residential building, and the discovery of several stones painted in red ochre that lead to new interpretations on the art and spirituality of the ancient hunter-gatherers living in the uplands of the Prealps.
     
    Exhibitions and events
    All activities
     
    Contacts
    Info: t.+39 0461 270311

    Opening hours
    ​Visits and guided tours to Riparo Dalmeri are available in the summer.
    Prices
    For details about hours and fees of the activities contact the museum t. 0461 270311.
     
    How to reach us
    ​From Trento (93 km):
    Travel through Valsugana up to Primolano, then take the direction to Enego. Carry on towards "Piana della Marcesina/Rifugio Barricata". Park and continue by foot on the Forest road leading to the "Riparo" (about 1,0 km).

    From Asiago (30 km):
    Travel through SP 76, direction to Enego-Foza, then take the road to "Piana della Marcesina/Rifugio Barricata". Park and continue by foot on the Forest road leading to the "Riparo" (about 1,0 km).